Louise Gagnon writes…. A Wednesday ride being postponed to Thursday? Now this is most unusual but a good call that the Group Leader of the Woking Midweek Wayfarers, John Murdoch, saw fit to make given the abysmal weather forecast on Met Office and BBC news right up to 9:30 AM yesterday. A disappointment I am sure for the unlucky few who could not re-schedule and ride with us today. All in all a fantastic day, complete with:
- bright sun and 21C (cool shades essential)
- a fantastic bunch of 13 riders working as a team
- a little historical visit and briefing at the former Royal Canadian Air Force Station Dunsfold
- circumventing Guildford for 54 miles, hence the ride name of Backyard Bliss 54 (see Garmin Connect link: http://connect.garmin.com/course/6816542
- trying out Chris Juden’s technique of “human signposting”; everyone loved it. Makes for a smooth flowing, uninterrupted ride and provided some rotation for riders. Still, we could not stop Brian King laughing with any riders; no rotation could keep him subdued (refreshing exuberance; well done Brian!).
- a nice finish with a 3 mile “race” from West Horsley to Ripley, won by Ian Pickering, one of our new bees. But what really, truly made the day was the constant blend of laughter and the huge inclination to have a blast of safe fun out there. Thanks everyone; it truly was 54 miles of “Backyard Bliss!